This is a good dish to get extra calcium into your child. You don't necessarily need to use broccoli - sweetcorn, diced carrot or spinach are all alternatives.
|Broccoli- good source of vitamin C and Calcium. |
100g chicken breast - cut into small chunks
75g pasta stars
50g broccoli, washed
1 small onion
1/2 salt free vegetable or chicken stock cube
1 tbsp organic rapeseed or olive oil
|Just add chicken and a milk substitute of your choice.|
1 tsp dairy free spread
25g plain flour
240 mls of milk substitute
- Make up the white sauce by melting the dairy free spread in a saucepan, then add the flour to make a roux. Add a couple of tablespoons of the milk to loosen the flour mix before pouring the rest of the milk in. Heat to make the sauce thicken.
- In a separate saucepan, soften the onion in the oil, then add the chicken breast and cook thoroughly.
- Stir in the white sauce, add the stock cube and the broccoli florets and pasta stars.
- Allow to simmer for 10minutes.
- You may need to add some more water if the sauce gets too thick.
- Blend or mash, or leave as it is, as appropriate for your child.
I have frozen this dish before, but you don't get great results. Better to make it up and keep any spare in the fridge for the next day.
PS - Have a look at my other recipes here.