Sunday 26 July 2015

Polenta "Chips"

This recipe has been modified from this one in the River Cottage Veg book. They are so good, I cooked them for some friends who came round recently, and regularly make them when I fancy something different. I forgot to take any photos the last time I made them, but I'll edit this page when I next cook them! Photo below is courtesy of Taste.com




They do take some planning, as you need to let the polenta cool slightly to chop into "chips". I also bake, rather than fry them. 


Ingredients

(This would serve 2 hungry adults)
100g quick cook polenta, 
400mls water, 
1 clove garlic finely diced, 
few sprigs of rosemary, again finely diced. (I used scissors to make chopping easier)
olive oil for brushing



You can scale this recipe up or down using 50g polenta with 200mls water. 


Method

  1. Measure out the water and place in a saucepan to boil. 
  2. Find a baking tray with high edges and line with greaseproof paper. 
  3. Add the finely chopped garlic and rosemary to the water, followed by the polenta, stirring continuously. 
  4. Follow the instructions for cooking polenta on your packet, but generally it suggests cooking for about 5minutes for a "firm" polenta. Take care, as it bubbles volcanically! 
  5. Once cooked, tip the polenta into the baking tray, and spread it as evenly as you can.
  6. Leave to cool for at least 1 hour. 
  7. When cool, turn the polenta out, remove the greaseproof paper and cut into "chip" shapes. 
  8. Place the chips on a baking tray (I usually line this with greaseproof paper too, as my baking trays are  rubbish!)
  9. Brush with olive oil and place in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 45minutes, turning once to crisp up the other side. If you prefer them crispier, then just cook for a bit longer. 
Try adding some chillies if you're making this for the grown ups!



If you are making these just for an adult audience, then add some salt and pepper, and possibly some dried chilli flakes to the boiling water. 


Try some of my other dairy free recipes by clicking on the pictures below:



See all my dairy free recipes here

No comments:

Post a Comment